Monday, September 11, 2006

More Microsoft hoops jumped through...

After I got home I checked my email, and lo and behold there was an email from Microsoft:

********************** The message for you follows ************************

Hello Randy,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows XP Technical Support.

I am Richard, and this mail is regarding your Case XXXXXXXXXXXX.
Based on the information shared by us on the call, here is the outline
of the steps that we had agreed upon as a resolution to our issue. I would
appreciate your time and efforts in performing the steps before we can contact you.



Steps:
*****
Will have to speak with the Compaq Technical Support and then would iniate a call back to check whether everything is working fine.


I will ensure a follow-up call within the next 24 hours to see to continue working with you on the call

We have recorded your availablity as below:

Available Days :MON - FRI
Available Times:11:00 - 13:00
Time Frame :11:00 - 13:00
Time Zone :EST



If you have any further questions regarding your issue; please push an email
to compmail@microsoft.com including your case number,XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
line or call us back.

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you.
If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, my manager,Arvind,
would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions. You may reach my manager by sending an email to
managers@microsoft.com

Thank you in advance for your time and patience

Have a pleasant day!!

Sincerely,

Richard
v-6antr@mssupport.microsoft.com
8 am - 5 pm PST

When replying, please include your SR number, name, email address and phone number. Thank you.

Is your PC secure? For more information on how to protect your PC, please visit:

www.microsoft.com/security


Now, imagine my surprise that we had discussed an action plan! It was all news to me. We never talked about a callback, 'Chris' (on the phone) now 'Richard' (in email) was supposed to stay on the line when I talked to HP tech support, but dropped off without notification. I never discussed my availability for a callback, especially at the times listed. I work a night shift and these times are right in the middle of my night. Chris/Richard was taking the time that I called on a Monday as being my availability on all weekdays. I called MS at 11:00, so of course I am available every day at that time, right? Chris/Richard did not call back the next day either, it was a week before someone called me back.

The next morning I called Microsoft back to see what I could accomplish this time in talking to them, especially after going through all of what you have read. To my utter shock, when I got someone on the line she actually spoke English as a primary language! She understood me and I didn't have to repeat anything a couple of times to make sure the thought or information got through. I gave my case number and explained what I had been through and what I was looking for from a tech. This nice lady was appalled when I told her that I had received an email from the tech with false information in it, and entered this information into the case. She asked me if she could connect me with media replacement, and I told her that it was purchased from a third party and they needed the bad media information in the case information to issue an RMA. She entered the bad media information and asked that the case be closed after Journey Ed called to verify the info. I thanked her and we hung up.

I then called Journey Education and waited through their phone hell until I could get someone on the line. Once I finally did I explained that the information they needed was in the MS case info and gave the case number. The CS rep verified the email address to send the RMA to and we hung up.

This should have been the end of the ordeal, right? Anyone who thinks clearly would, but that was not the case. I brought my wife up to speed on where we were in the process of getting the RMA, and she was on the lookout for the email from Journey Ed. Since it didn't come in that day, she checked the next morning and it wasn't there either. She called Journey Ed and asked to speak with a CS rep. At this point she was informed that she would have to speak to a supervisor (!??!) since he was now handling the case. WTF? She left a voice mail and call back information, and then we waited - again.

Since we are now about a week into things, we had to wait until the beginning of the next week to do anything else. I wasn't going to sit around all weekend, when I went in to work on that Friday night, I started looking into filing Better Business Bureau complaints. I did just this, one against Journey Education, who is not a BBB participant and one against Microsoft, who is a BBB participant. That took most of my free time that night at work. More hoops to jump through.

And still more hoops to come...

No comments: