Friday, October 14, 2005

Background Info...

OK, so I guess a little background might be useful. I turned 'The Answer to The Ultimate Question Of Life, the Universe, and Everything' this year. Meaning that I was born at the ass-end of the baby boom, and I have been referred to that many times in the course of my life. And, I guess I've always been a geek, even when I didn't know it. If the above doesn't explain it, then I don't know what does.

Anyway, I'm in my second marriage (yes, some geeks DO indeed have the social skills needed to attract a mate), my longest term of employment for a single entity (over 7 years and counting), my first house, and my last nerve. So much happens so fast these days. Who can keep up? It's these modern conveniences that make our lives so much easier that take away all of the time that our forebears had in seeming abundance. If you're reading THIS, then you know exactly what I mean. If the 60's ands 70's had Television as the 'boob tube', then the PC has morphed into just that for us. Hell, when I got my first personal computer (Commodore64), no one saw me after I got home from work, then when I moved into the PC stage, and had a modem, no one saw me at all.

I'd leave my computer operations job (mainframes) and go home, fire up the PC, and surf the bulletin boards all morning, I work midnights so just call me Drac. From BBS's to the Internet, I've been a slave to the computer at work and home for a LONG time.

Enough for now, I have to actually start my job for the night.

No comments: